by | Jun 4, 1999 | Belief

My wife had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. We fought the good fight for several years taking chemo treatments and praying. Finally one day the cancer reached the liver, and the only hope would be to tie off the major arteries to the infected half of the liver. This would have the effect of killing the oxygen flow to half of the liver, killing the half and the cancer within it. This is considered a last line of defense against this slow growing, carceogenic tumor.

Before going to the hospital, we prayed. I fasted the day before and prayed and really did not have command over what I said. ‘I’ didn’t pray but heard the prayer coming from my lips. My wife told me what I said, her operation would work and she would not die.

The operation went well. However, in a couple of days she started drifting into a coma like state. Her kidneys shut down and she had to go on dialysis daily. After four days of this I went home and prayed. I prayed not for her to get well but for “His will to be done.” I remembered what my wife told me about the prayer I had said before she went into the hospital. I had some relief in this and prayed again for the faith to believe in the promises made. Finally, I turned my wife’s problems over to God, recognizing I had no control over this situation.

The next day the doctor told me she couldn’t survive in this condition so I decided to wait two days before notifying all the family. The doctor decided to try one last medication. Verifying the medicine at my job, the medical staff told me it had a one in 500 chance of working, two-tenths of one percent chance. Not good odds no matter how you looked at it.

I had a schedule I maintained during my wife’s many hospitalizations. Every Saturday was devoted to housework, washing clothes, dishes, cleaning the house, paying bills and taking a time-out from the stress of hospitals. Anyone in this situation needs this time, one day of rest, to maintain strength and sanity.

The next day, Sunday, I woke up and ‘knew’ everything was ok. I bought some flowers and a congratulation card rather than a get well card and drove to the hospital, entered her room and found her sitting on the side of the bed. Confused from dream memories mixed in with reality, but happy and recovering. We embraced.. In two days she was home, recovering from this terrible episode.

God did keep his word. I didn’t lose my faith and most importantly this operation gave us some extra time together. My wife did go with the Lord that year, but we had six marvelous months together. Time well spent.

B. J. Cassady Guthrie, Oklahoma